CollisionFX

» Download and details

Author: pizzaoverhead
Forum link
Download link
PayPal donation link

» Hide details

CollisionFX adds sound effects and sparks with lighting when you collide or scrap your craft. It also adds a rubbery screech to landing gear on contact with the ground. If you’re a player whose landings are often less than ideal – and let’s face it, who isn’t? – this mod will add a little more drama to those landings.

KSP Visual Mods - Step-by-Step Installation Guide for v1.3.1 - CollisionFX

Installation

Download and drop in GameData. The GameData folder will look something like the below.

Kerbal Space Program/
    GameData/
        CollisionFX/
        Squad/

Sale Spore

Last update on 2018-11-16 at 05:47. Affiliate links and images from Amazon Product Advertising API.

» More info

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on:
  • amazon.com,
  • amazon.co.uk,
  • amazon.ca,
  • amazon.fr,
  • or amazon.de
at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.

» Less info

Engine Lighting

» Download and details

Author: tajampi (ToXik-yogHurt for Engine Lighting 1.5.1 update)
Forum link
Download link

» Hide details

Engine Lighting adds lighting effects to engines and decouplers. Light intensity is calculated from thrust and engine power. This works on a lot of modded engines too, thankfully!

KSP Visual Mods - Step-by-Step Installation Guide for v1.3.1 - Engine Lighting

Installation

Kerbal Space Program/
    GameData/
        EngineLight/
        Squad/

TextureReplacer + Rareden’s Real 8K Skybox

» Download and details

TextureReplacer (RangeMachine’s Unofficial Release)

Author: RangeMachine (original work by shaw)
Forum link (for original TextureReplacer)
Download link

Rareden’s Real 8K Skybox

Author: Rareden (reproduced on their behalf by Kunschner)
Forum link

Download link

» Hide details

The “skybox” is the game’s starry background. You can never actually reach those places – the skybox is just a cuboid wrapped around the playable area. Change the cuboid, change the backdrop to all of your extra-planetary adventures in KSP.

The default skybox is subtle – one can see the galactic plane stretch across the sky, but it’s largely ignorable. The right skybox can become an important part of KSP’s visual landscape.

To replace the skybox, and many other textures (suits, heads, celestial bodies, for example), you need to install a mod named TextureReplacer. (No marks for inspiration, but A+ for usefulness.) More specifically, you’ll need RangeMachine’s Unofficial Release of it, since TextureReplacer is incompatible with later versions of KSP.

Installation

Download RangeMachine’s Unofficial Release, unzip, and drop in the GameData folder.

Next, download Rareden’s Real 8K Skybox for the skybox files. It’s pretty:

KSP Visual Mods - Rareden's Skybox

(If you want something different i.e. not Rareden’s Real 8K Skybox, check the TextureReplacer thread linked above which has a list of skyboxes you can use.) Skyboxes will come with six files, each corresponding to a different face of the skybox cuboid, named as follows:

GalaxyTex_NegativeX.jpg
GalaxyTex_NegativeY.jpg
GalaxyTex_NegativeZ.jpg
GalaxyTex_PositiveX.jpg
GalaxyTex_PositiveY.jpg
GalaxyTex_PositiveZ.jpg

Put these files in GameData/TextureReplacer/Default, replacing any that might already be there.

Your KSP installation directory will look something like the following:

Kerbal Space Program/

» Download and details

Author: Galileo
Forum link
Download link
PayPal donation link

» Hide details

“Sun flares” refer to the optical effect often most noticeable in KSP due to Kerbol (the sun). Making a small effort to change the flare effect with Galileo’s Sun Flares will be rewarded every time one of your spacecraft orbit across a planet’s terminus and into the sunlight.

KSP Visual Mods - Galileo's Sun Flares

Requirements

Galileo’s Sun Flares has just one dependency:

Installation

First, follow the instructions listed in this post for Scatterer.

There are two ways to install GSF, depending on whether you use one of the nine more recent flares (GSF v1.8.0 onwards, easier to install) or one of the 25 earlier flares (prior to GSF v1.8.0).

Recent Flares (GSF v1.8.0 onwards)

Download one of the packages (I like Fusion_White), unzip, and place the GSF folder in your GameData folder. And you’re done!

If you really want to use one of the earlier flares, then click the text below to read installation instructions, but they’ve only been lightly updated since I last tested all of this on 1.2.1. In other words, the instructions for earlier flares are untested on 1.3.1 and might not work at all; worse, they may ruin your mod setup totally. This is just my best guess.

» Installation instructions for earlier flares

Earlier Flares (Prior to GSF v1.8.0)

These instructions are more involved because GSF didn’t use Module Manager in the past, so you have to overwrite some settings from other mods you have installed. (You’ll have at least one because you need Scatterer.)

Download Galileo’s Sun Flares and extract the zip file. This will provide you with a folder, GalileosSunFlares, containing four folders corresponding to the colour you’d like to provide to Kerbol – blue, red, white, or yellow. Each of these folders in turn contains six or seven folders, each corresponding to a different flare type. The one shown above, for example, is number five. (I prefer the fifth variant of the white sun, myself.) To distinguish between them you might need to try a few out, or dig into the mod folder a little more and imagine what a composite of the images might look like.

Within each flare type folder, there is a GameData folder containing a folder called “scatterer”. To recap, you have a folder structure something like this:

GalileosSunFlares
                            Sun
                                ...
                            Sun.cfg
            ...
    Yellow
        ...

You’ll need to copy one of the nested scatterer folders into your KSP installation GameData folder, overwriting any files when prompted (i.e. you want Galileo’s Sun Flares effects to override the base Scatterer effects).

There’s a further action to take if you’re using SVT. Copy the Sun.cfg file nested inside your chosen sun flare variant to SVT/configs and overwrite the existing file in there.

In summary:

1. Download and extract Galileo’s Sun Flares. I’m assuming you now have a file called “GalileosSunFlares” in some directory.
  2. Choose a colour and a flare variant e.g. White/5.
  3. Copy the “scatterer” folder for that flare variant into your KSP installation’s GameData folder i.e. copy: /GalileosSunFlares/White/5/GameData/scatterer to: /GameData and overwrite when prompted.
  4. If you’re using SVT, overwrite the Sun.cfg file in the SVT folder with the one from the sun flare variant that you’ve chosen i.e. copy: /GalileosSunFlares/White/5/GameData/scatterer/config/Sunflares/Sun.cfg to: /GameData/SVT/configs and overwrite when prompted.

» Hide details

JayS_NL’s Custom KSP ReShade

» Download and details

Author: JayS_NL
Forum link
Download link
PayPal donation link

» Hide details

This odd-sounding mod makes myriad tweaks and final touches to the visual feel of KSP in a manner that, in my opinion, makes the whole game a little more vibrant. It works in a similar way to GemFX or SweetFX, so-called “DLL-injectors”. See some of the comparison video below showing the action of the JayS_NL’s Custom KSP ReShade mod.

KSP Visual Mods - Step-by-Step Installation Guide for v1.3.1 - Custom ReShade
by Mulbin on KSP Forums

Installation

This is perhaps the most fiddly of all the mods listed on this page to get working. The problem begins on the first post of the thread linked to above – some of the tools referred to no longer exist in the expected form. The author has corrected the installation method in some later posts, but for posterity I’ll include everything here. There are a number of steps that you need to take to get this to play nicely with the other mods here.

1. Download ReShade, a post-processing injector for games.
  2. Run the downloaded executable, click ‘Select game’, choose the KSP executable (I would recommend running all of these in 64-bit mode, but choose whichever one you normally use e.g. /KSP_x64.exe), then choose the Direct3D 10+ rendering API. ReShade will install files and configuration to your KSP directory.
  3. To avoid rendering artifacts in the game (normally manifesting themselves as “stripes” around KSC and in some clouds on Laythe and Eve), you’ll need to convert some images from one format (known as DDS) to another (PNG).
    1. Download, install, and run the free program DDS Converter.
    2. If you’re using SVT, select all DDS files (with the DDS Converter program) in /GameData/SVT/SVT_Textures and convert them to PNG, outputting into the same directory. Backup the DDS files somewhere (just in case things go wrong) and delete them from this directory.
    3. If you’re using SVE, repeat step 2 for /GameData/StockVisualEnhancements/Textures.
  4. Download the file hosted here, called reshade.ini, and paste it directly into your KSP installation top-level directory (Kerbal Space Program). (Note that I didn’t create this file. It was configured by JayS_NL; I’m merely hosting it for posterity.)
  5. Run KSP in forced D3D11 mode with the “-force-d3d11” flags. Do this by following the guide here.
  6. Some windows will appear while KSP loads – this is ReShade doing its thing. Once the game has loaded, press SHIFT + F2 to open the ReShade settings menu and change the presets file to point to /reshade.ini.
Published
Categories Guide Modding
Views 19084

Comments (39)

• Andres
    December 6, 2017 at 12:32 Reply
    Everything works fine but in the last step everything breaks. If I make the textures png, the loading screen before starting a new game after the main menu lasts forever. Also, I think that you have to make terrain in svt pngs or else u get rendering stripes. Also, i get a very ugly thick black line on the far horizon over the ocean. I have tried everything please Help! (otherwise great guide thank you :D!)
    • December 6, 2017 at 12:46 Reply
      Hi Andres! Thanks for trying the guide out! Your feedback is very valuable, so thank you also for taking the time to reach out.I'm sorry you're having difficulty with the final step! It is the most problematic. I've heard of similar symptoms from other users, so you're not alone, but I'm also not sure what the solution is at this stage.I did mention in the instructions to convert the SVT files from DDS to PNG, as you correctly pointed out. As it happens, I think this is the cause of the perpetual loading screen that you pointed out. I think it's actually the SVT PNG files that cause the black screen you're referring to.I haven't figured out the solution to this problem yet, but I'm working on it!The black line on the far horizon is also something I've not worked out. I honestly normally just put up with it because the rest of the game is so beautiful. It looks like an aliasing problem, but again, I'm not sure what's causing it.Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I will continue to test these instructions to see if I can reproduce the issues other people see.
      • Andres
        December 6, 2017 at 15:10 Reply
        Wow, that was a very fast response, thanks. If you are kind to suggestions, i think that there adding Reentry Particle FX mod and RealPlume would be a good idea, and perhaps KSC++. Also, please consider doing a gameplay mods and a parts mods list, I´d be glad to help. Amazing page, glad I found it :)!
        • December 6, 2017 at 19:43 Reply
          Thanks for the suggestions! I would love to do more KSP mod posts in the future, time permitting :) Thank you for your offer! I have made a note of your contact details!
    • December 9, 2017 at 01:00 Reply
      Hi Andres. Could you please try the following: 1) Delete your existing SVT folder, if it still exists. 2) Re-download SVT. 3) Unzip SVT and move to GameData, as before.Don't run ReShade after this!Hopefully you'll now be able to run without graphical problems.
  • Luke
    December 10, 2017 at 01:36 Reply
    Great list of mods and instructions. will a little bit of fiddling i got all but the last one to work and it looks great! I think that Module Manager is required for several of the mods and once i realized that it fixed most of the issues I was having. Also, for those who haven’t completed the mods yet, make sure you save a backup before you install the last one. that will save you a lot of time.
    • December 10, 2017 at 09:52 Reply
      Hi Luke! Thanks for the feedback and extra tips! I think I left a note near the top of the page to backup, but it's always worth emphasising that one! I also believe Module Manager comes packed with one of these mods - perhaps Kopernicus? Did it not appear for you?
  • Ivan
    December 15, 2017 at 23:49 Reply
    Hello! I have a problem with SVE. When I try using it (without configs, just as instructed) I get white Kerbin (everything-s white except terrain). After that I delete SVE but strangely enough whiteness remains until I swap my Scatterer with a new one, as if Scatterer becomes permanently damaged. So is there any way for me to get those sweet clouds? My other mods are EVE, Scatterer, GAP (giving aircraft a purpose), ContractConfigurator, ModuleManager.
    • December 17, 2017 at 22:19 Reply
      Are EVE and Scatterer both up-to-date? These mods change a fair bit between different KSP base versions.
      • Emoti723
        January 27, 2018 at 19:09 Reply
        I have the same problem, and I Just downloaded Everything.
      • Ivan
        February 13, 2018 at 19:19 Reply
        In the end I used CKAN. Which worked.
    • Emoti723
      January 27, 2018 at 21:18 Reply
      Reinstall KSP
      • Ivan
        February 13, 2018 at 19:19 Reply
        Doen't work at all.
    • January 17, 2018 at 11:31 Reply
      Hi again Andres! I think it looks great - skyboxes are so easy to change!
    • January 17, 2018 at 11:29 Reply
      Thanks for sharing! I'll give it a try sometime! Is this something you use yourself?
      • Diederik
        January 17, 2018 at 18:11 Reply
        Installing it as we speak together with Galileo's Planet Pack.
      • Diederik
        January 17, 2018 at 18:25 Reply
        I flew around a bit with KS3P and it looks absolutely brilliant! This is definitely a mod that I'll keep using.
        • January 17, 2018 at 19:34 Reply
          Thanks for the recommendation! I will certainly bear it in mind next time I revisit this mod list!
  • Dylan
    February 3, 2018 at 01:19 Reply
    Hello! I’m having some trouble with EVE/SVE. I’ve unzipped both and they’re both in my game data folder. I also put the high res textures for SVE inside of the SVE folder in gamedata. Upon loading up KSP, nothing looks different (looks like I’m only using scatterer). No clouds, city lights or anything. I’m pretty new to modding, so any help would be appreciated
    • February 6, 2018 at 11:50 Reply
      Hi Dylan! Can you confirm that your GameData folder looks as described in the EVE + SVE section of the guide, that you didn't install the EVE Configs, and that you only installed one set of textures in the SVE folder?
      • Dylan
        February 7, 2018 at 01:33 Reply
        I just checked, everything looks the same on my end. I also downloaded module manager to see if it would do anything to help but it didn't. It said that it found 26 patches but didn't seem to get SVE or EVE working. I'll remove and reinstall the mods again just to check
      • Dylan
        February 7, 2018 at 01:45 Reply
        Just uninstalled and reinstalled and it seemed to work fine...not sure how I differed from the first time I tried. Oh well, thanks!
        • February 7, 2018 at 06:35 Reply
          Glad it worked out for you! These things can be finnicky sometimes!
  • AAAA
    February 25, 2018 at 22:48 Reply
    Thanks so much for this in-depth tutorial and guide, I managed to install all of these mods on a new game and its freaking gorgeous, the oceans, clouds and aurora just blow me away everytime, Kerbin feels so alive now.
    • February 25, 2018 at 22:55 Reply
      I'm so glad it was helpful to you! Enjoy :)
  • David
    March 3, 2018 at 20:29 Reply
    I have problems converting 2 files in SVT. NewMunSurfaceMapDiffuse.dds, newoceanmoon00.dds: Has anyone else encountered this problem or do i just ignore it? I tried redownloading SVT and I also tried just continuing without it but then i get a transparent kerbal map…
    • David
      March 3, 2018 at 20:58 Reply
      Also, apparently there are 5 .dds I cannot convert. At the main menu continuing without, Kerbin is white, can’t launch into KSC, and in a scenario I get a transparent planet. http://prntscr.com/imfutq. Any suggestions?
  • Dave
    March 9, 2018 at 00:03 Reply
    Right so this is a bit embarrassing. I’m completely dumb at this sort of thing, but it seems pretty simple and I’m fairly Mac savvy. I can’t get a single mod to work OR Ckan (terminal, mono framework… too much for me??). I’m running a Mac OS High Sierra via Steam, have put (the contents of each one of these) into my Game Data folder located through steam. I restarted the game and my Mac each time, installed these one by one in the recommended order, followed your file structure detailed above, and incredibly didn’t see a single one work. I did get EVE to show up an icon, but got an error when I pressed it saying something like “cannot find config”. No idea how or where config files should be. So just wondering, if I copied the folders into game data correctly, why does it just not work. I’m assuming it’s because of the recent update, I’m on 1.4.0. ? If I could get even one, ie scatterer to work I’d be a happy man! Here’s a screenshot of my folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xg0r20LNp3Vxmhf_zn-5o-P-RKk8iWy_/view?usp=sharing. Have tried with many combination of these and nothing seems to work at all. Any help would be brilliant!
  • Benjamin Frintn
    March 17, 2018 at 19:04 Reply
    Hi there! Nice work, helped me a lot recently.One question though: Will you update this guide to 1.4 and later?Greetings
    • March 17, 2018 at 19:42 Reply
      I imagine I'll take a look eventually! Did you find something didn't quite work in 1.4?
      • Benjamin Frintn
        March 18, 2018 at 09:32 Reply
        Some of them are outdated and not optimized for 1.4 :( And Galileo still doesn't recomment to use Scatterer with SVE due to some major bugs.
        • March 18, 2018 at 09:34 Reply
          Thanks for the information! I'm sure the post will get an update in due course!
  • Nexis
    March 20, 2018 at 01:23 Reply
    Hi, i think i have a issue with EVE/SVE/Scatterer.
    I explain it: After i start my Game all Mods are working as intended and all looks awesome ?
    But the the (en)joy lasts only briefly. Because after an indefinite time or event more and more things start failing ?
    At first the skybox-stars are disappearing, after that the kerbol-star is disappearing and at last the planets and moons seems to disappear.
    So i can see the light on my ship, but no more the star which is producing it. And i can no longer see the planet’s/moon’s surface, even at daytime. At last i see only my ship and the hud, surounded by endless black.
    Even after game-restart the issues persists. I have to deinstall all mods, so return to stock that all returns to normal.It seems to happen if i change the SOI of two body’s. As long i am in orbit around kerbin all is fine, but if i fly to mintmus, things start to fail like described above.
    Same if i fly from Gilly to Eve. But here something curious: sometimes if i hit Eve’s atmosphere for aerobraking, the skybox, kerbol-star and the eve-planet return to normal (moddet) state.I think i have installed all mods correctly, because i don’t have any update-warnings at gamestart. In addition to EVE/SVE and Scatterer i have the following mods installed: KerbalEngineer, Chatterer and StageRecovery. I play KSP 1.4.1.
    My pc has 16GB RAM, 2GB VRAM (msi geforce gtx 750ti) and AMD FX-8350 (8core 4GHz).
    So i also do not think that my pc is the reason.Did i something wrong? Is this issue known?
    • Nexis
      March 22, 2018 at 13:22 Reply
      EDIT: I was able to narrow down the bug. It is definetely Scatterer-mod which causes the bug of disapperaing planets, moons and skybox (i call it for now on “fade to black” to save time). Do not misunderstand: EVE, SVE and Scatterer work fine if a Vessel does not leave kerbins orbit. If a vessel flys to mun, minmus or into kerbol-orbit -> while scatterer-mod is running
      • March 22, 2018 at 13:38 Reply
        Thanks for the update! I will eventually re-evaluate this list for KSP 1.4!
  • Alex Booth
    March 28, 2018 at 10:47 Reply
    Engine Lighting seems to be the best improvement iv seen so far. The way it changes the light coming from the thrusters transforms the visuals immensely.